Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Discernment and Self-concept

                                                      
 

Discernment and Self-concept:  How I perceive myself has a great effect on the possibility I see in self-fulfillment according to God’s plan for me. I am a person capable to loving and being loved and making choices that enhance my self-esteem and choosing a vocation in life where I am most likely to make strides in growing in love of God, of self, and of others. (Note: I cannot love others or God is I hate or disdain myself. And if I hate myself, look down upon myself, then I will not be able to bring my will into God’s will).
Reflect on the following and ascertain how positive or negative is your perception of yourself.  Share both your positive and negative self-images with Jesus (in writing).  Then let Jesus, in writing, respond to you (don’t think strenuously; just start writing and see how Jesus comes through your thoughts).

Signs of a positive self-image

·         I feel good about myself

·         I share who I am with others

·         I take responsibility for my behaviors and the problems I encounter

·         I stay involved in life, looking for solutions to my problems, setting realistic, attainable personal goals

·         I am aware of my limitations and weaknesses and recognize my need for help from others

to make necessary changes in my way of thinking and behaving so as to regain a positive sense of self

·         I have a strong sense of identity and am myself.  I think for myself. I take time to reflect upon my beliefs and values and act on them.

·         I accept who I am and all of the dimensions of my life: my family background, my social realities, my talents and giftedness, my skills levels, my faith formation, my physical appearance.

Signs of a negative self-image

·         I am embarrassed about myself

·         I avoid letting others know who I am\

·         I make excuses for my behaviors/attitudes that lead to problems in relationships and in accomplishing my goals

·         I withdraw from life, turning in on myself, cease setting attainable, realistic personal goals

·         I feel threatened by persons whose way of thinking and acting are different from mine

·         I feel an enormous gap between who I would like to be and who I am, between what I would like to do and what I do. I take on other people’s way of thinking, their values (even when I disagree with them). I avoid thinking for myself.

·         There are aspects of myself that I do not accept: my family background, my social reality, my talents, my intelligence, my faith, my physical appearance.

Source: Pathways: A Vocation Discernment Program, Sisters of the Company of Mary, Our Lady, United States Province, 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment