Friday, August 1, 2014

Discernment: Rendering ourselves Unreceptive


DISCERNMENT:  God’s messages, as in today’s Scripture readings, Jer 26: 1-9 and Mt. 13: 54-58, many times ring in our ears as: “Who are you to bring me that message, to say such a thing, to question me?”  Rather than hearing what God is trying to tell me, many times I attack the messenger. I do not want my life disturbed. I am comfortable, going about my business, doing what I want to do.  Is it possible, though, that God is calling me to a deeper commitment,  to a ministry/career change I have been avoiding, to a relationship I have been less than willing to reconcile, to pursuing a relationship that would be mutually rewarding, to  a vocation I have been resisting?  When Jesus enters our lives through a messenger, wanting to bring us Good News, and we react with “who does he/she thinks she/he is; I’m not called to that? I’m not going to consider such-and-such; or leave me alone, I have my mind made up”   it is not Jesus who is hindered in His work in our lives. By our reaction and unwillingness to listen, we render ourselves unreceptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment