Thursday, October 27, 2016

Discernment of the Truth (Part II)

Discernment: In a previous blog, also posted today, we quoted one of three points that Dr. Cortney  Warren recommends to discern whether or not we are facing the truth. That first point was to pause and observe our emotional reaction to someone or something. The other two suggestions that she makes in her book Lies We Tell Ourselves: The Psychology of Self-Deception is that we also observe our thoughts and our behaviors.  What are we saying to ourselves when we react emotionally to someone or something and do not want to face what is being said or done and how are we behaving?
Our thoughts:  Dr. Warren reminds us that “most of us believe that we are right about everything: we think our thoughts are true. Unfortunately, our thoughts are incredibly inaccurate in characteristics ways.”  When you notice that your thinking borders the extreme or is in fact irrational, it is very important, in the quiet of your room, in prayer, in fact, that you ask yourself:  Is this really true?  Dr. Warren suggests that we ask the questions:  “Am I using my past to justify my current thinking? How are my thoughts biased?”

Finally, check your behavior.  Dr. Warren suggests that “when your behavior isn’t consistent with who you want to be or claim to be, pause. Ask yourself: Why am I acting this way? What is motivating my behavior? What do I not want to admit to myself about my behavior? Why?

For more information on Dr. Cortney S. Warren and her work, visit www.choosehonesty.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment