Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Discernment: Recognizing Being A Disciple of Christ

Discernment:  In today’s Gospel, Luke 7: 18b-23, John the Baptist, who is in prison, asks his disciples to go to Jesus and ask whether he truly is “the one who is to come, or should we look for another,”  Jesus’ response is: “Go and tell John what you have seen and hear: the blind regain their sight, the lame walk , lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have the good news proclaimed to them.  And blessed is the one who takes no offense at me.” 

How do I know that I am at one with the will of the Father or whether I am in the presence of a disciple of Christ? I will know that I am in harmony with the will of God or have  encountered a disciple of Christ by the same criteria that John the Baptist realized that Jesus was truly “the one who is go come.” When I am cooperating with grace or when I am in the presence of a disciple of Christ or I myself am acting as one of Jesus’ disciples:

  •           I will hear and see more clearly.
  • ·         There will be  a lightness in my  step (“the lame walk”).
  • ·          I will be one who carries news that strengthens “weak knees.”
  • ·         I will be one who brings hope to persons weighed down by hopelessness
  • ·         My eyes and ears will be opened to God’s Word.
  • ·         People will begin to believe in themselves and be more confident of their abilities. 
  • ·         My own confidence in my abilities will increase.
  • ·         The choices I make will put a spring in my steps and a song on my heart.
  • ·         I will be open to correction.
  • ·         I will rejoice in the good others do.
  • ·         I will be able to affirm others and myself; I will be able to acknowledge the good others and I do, just as Jesus identified the good He was accomplishing!
  • ·         My heart will be purified: I will be less selfish, less fearful, less worried, and so on.


How do you discern your discipleship?

No comments:

Post a Comment