Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Origin of Your Vocation in Life



Discernment and One’s Life’s Vocation:  At the last supper, Jesus turned to His disciples/apostles and said: You have not chosen me, I have chosen you.  Jesus has  chosen us for a specific vocation in life: marriage, religious life, priesthood, or the single life.  “I have chosen you.”  He is likewise saying to us: “You are not just a grain of sand on the seashore that blends in like any other grain of sand, unnoticed or unnoticeable. You are not just a number to be counted in a census.  No, you are mine! You are an important person on the face of the earth. I have chosen you to accomplish a  specific mission within a definitive lifestyle.

Being called to religious life, marriage, priesthood or the single life is initiated by God. God does the choosing. God is the one who calls.   Recall a time when choices were being made for a specific task in your grade school, high school, college years. Remember the excitement.  Then, think of God personally calling YOU to your vocation in life, looking directly into your eyes and saying: “Come, follow me. I will make you a fisher of people for an eternal Kingdom. I am choosing you to do that fishing as a woman/man religious, as a married person with this special partner, as a single person, as a priest.”  Feel God’s love as He says to you: “I have chosen you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment