Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Discernment--Facing the Truth and Not Running from It



Discernment in Tough Times:   In today’s Gospel, when the apostles heard Jesus’ message that one of them was about to betray Him, they frantically begged to know which of them would do such a thing. “It is the one to whom I hand the morsel after I have dipped it.” He gives the consecrated bread to Judas. At that moment “Satan entered him.” Jesus says to him: “What you are going to do, do quickly.” Judas leaves. “It is night.” Darkness seems to have triumphed. So even more urgent is the act of redemption, Jesus, the second person of the Blessed Trinity, giving His life to save us from the kind of night that engulfed Judas.

Jesus discerns what is going on around Him. He knows what Judas as about. He also knows that Peter, under pressure, will collapse of his good will and, out of fear, feverishly deny Him.  Jesus does not hide from this hour of truth but enters into it deeply. If I am going to discern what is really going on, I, also, need to stay in the heat of the moment from which I would rather run and hide! By working through that which is troublesome, I come to know Truth and Freedom. I will experience new life, enlightened vision, and stronger faith and trust when I face the pain in my life, as Jesus did and, yes, as Peter did. He followed Jesus to the chambers of the High Priest, even after Jesus predicted his downfall. He looked Jesus in the eye in those chambers and his eyes were opened. Am I willing to face Jesus in my darkest hour and thus discern my sinfulness and my need of Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment