Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Discernment: Reflection of Wisdom and Intelligence



Discernment:  In Dt. 4: 1, 5-9, the first reading of today’s liturgy, Moses speaks to us of obeying God’s laws and decrees. In the Gospel of today, Mt.5: 17-19, Jesus tells us that He is the fulfillment of the Law and that He has not come to destroy it.  In discernment, we are faced with laws and decrees that God places before us, including a decree that has to do with which vocation in life will I choose, what specific decision will I make.  Moses encourage us to keep the decrees of God so that “you may live” and so that “you will give evidence of your wisdom and intelligence.”  So, we will know that we have discerned properly if the choice that we make is life giving to us, first of all, and life-giving to others. We will also know that we have rightly discerned God’s will if the choice we make for ourselves gives witness to our intelligence and wisdom! And the first one to know will be ourselves. Each of us knows when we make “stupid” choices. We say to ourselves: “What did I do that for?” “I knew that was a wrong choice for me.”  Or we even verbally abuse ourselves, saying: “How stupid of me,” rather than gently recognizing that, as a human being, I am prone to error and that any mistake I make is an opportunity for growth. So, what I need to say to myself is:  “What do I need to learn from the mistake I made? What does God want to teach me from this mistake” and thus personally grow in grace (humility) and wisdom. Both of which are elements of discernment!

No comments:

Post a Comment