Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Discernment: God Really Wants What of Me?

Responding to God’s Invitation to trust, to take risks, to act in faith can be very, very tough at times!  In today’s first reading, 1 Kings 17: 7-16, Elijah goes to Zarephath of Sidon and there is told that a widow would provide for him.  “As he arrived at the entrance of the city, a widow was gathering sticks there; he called out to her, ‘Please bring me a small cupful of water to drink…[and] a bit of bread.’  She answered: ‘As the Lord, your God, lives, I have nothing baked; there is only a handful of flour in my jar and a little oil in my jug.” She is reluctant  because that is all she has. Her plan was to prepare a last meal  for herself and her son and then wait to die.  But Elijah insisted:   “…make me a little cake and bring it to me. Then you can prepare something for yourself and your son.  For the Lord, the God of Israel, says, ‘The jar of flour shall not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, until the day when the Lord sends rain upon the earth.’ She left and did as Elijah had said. She was able to eat for a year, and Elijah and her son as well; the jar of flour did not go empty, nor the jug of oil run dry, as the Lord had foretold through Elijah.”

Many times what God asks of us seems impossible.  The widow was challenged to give the last of what she had to live upon. She expected to have enough for one more meal and then, because of the drought, she and her son would starve to death. However, she gave all, trusting that the Lord, the God of Israel, would provide, as Elijah prophesied.


Discerning the Lord will is many times a challenge! “Give up everything to become a Sister, a priest, to enter marriage, to remain single?” we ask. “ Risk everything of what I cherish: my independence, leaving home, leaving my friends? No way,” we cry.  “What if it does not work out and I am left with nothing?” “What if I fail?” And on and on we go digging up excuses to not trust, to not believe, to not surrender!  Miracles then evade us!

No comments:

Post a Comment