Monday, June 27, 2016

Religious Life or any Vocation: A Following of Jesus

Religious Life or any Vocation is a following of Jesus, who, as He reminds us in today’s Gospel, Mt. 8: 18-22, “has nowhere to rest his head.”  Following Jesus means hanging loose, so to speak, not seeking a place to “rest our head.”  How often do we, like the disciple in today’s reading, say to the Spirit, either in word or action:  “[L]et me go first and bury my father,” or do this or that. In other words, when the Spirit nudges us, we are likely to say: “Not now, Jesus. I got to finish what I am doing. Or, first, Lord, I got to run this errand or that errand.”   Or, “I’m too tired right now, Lord. I need to rest first my head.” And, what happens, you really do not follow the Spirit’s lead at all.  The son or daughter who wanted you to play with him or her is abandoned. Your wife or husband who wanted you to share your day and listen to what happened for him or her that day is ignored as you take time first to do whatever.


Many times, Jesus says: "'Follow me,' and let go of your plan right now!"

No comments:

Post a Comment