Thursday, March 7, 2013

Discernment: What decision would I make if I were on my deathbed?


 Discernment: Step 8 of the Ignatian method of discerning any serious decision, or discerning one’s vocation in life, includes a perspective from one’s deathbed.  St. Ignatius suggests that we imagine ourselves on our deathbed. In other words, if I were about to die, about to see Jesus face-to-face, how would I feel about the choice I am contemplating? Would I be pleased with myself or remorseful? If I would be regretting what I am about to choose, something is askew. Then, what I am contemplating is not something that I really want to do, whether it is a day-to-day decision in how I am relating to another, or shutting another out, or whether it is a State in Life that I am considering. So if, on my deathbed I would not make the choice I am contemplating, then I need to go back and review my reasons for making the choice I have just made but not yet carried out.

 
Source: Discernment of Spirits by Warren Sazama, SJ, National Religious Vocation Conference, Chicago, IL 60615.

No comments:

Post a Comment