DISCERNMENT: Yesterday we looked at the necessity of listening to your heart, if you are serious about discerning God’s will. We also suggested a way to quiet outside noise so as to be attentive to God’s Spirit speaking within you. Following the 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes of solitude, I suggest that you ponder the following questions given by Sister Clare Wagner, OP, in Make a difference! A guide for life choice” a pamphlet published by the National Religious Vocation Conference in 1995.
Those questions are:
· “What do I want most in life?
· What are my greatest fears?
· What are my deepest hopes?
· What makes me most alive?
· What is God like?
· Can I name my feelings about God, myself, the world?”(If yes, what are they?)
· “When I imagine myself in religious life or priesthood, what feelings arise in my heart?
· When I imagine myself married or single, what feelings arise?
· What gifts would I bring to religious life, married life, single life?
· Can I see myself studying theology and enjoying it?
· Can I see myself living and working in a group? How does that feel?
· Do I value interdependence or independence most?
· When I picture myself five years from now in each life vocation, what images arise? What feelings come to me?”