Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Discernment: The role of worship and fasting


Discernment:  The first reading of today’s liturgy, Acts 12: 24-13: 5a, gives us a direction for discerning God’s will.  Barnabas, Symeon, Lucius of Cyrene, Manean and Saul were worshiping the Lord and fasting.

During their worship and ascetic practice of fasting, the Holy Spirit spoke to them, directing them in what God wanted them to do.  If I am going to discern God’s will for me, I, too, need to spend time worshipping the Lord. I, too, need to take time to fast: fasting  from over consumption of food, from eating more than I really need, fasting from busyness that keeps me from setting time aside for the Lord, fasting from gossip and other sinful ways that dull my senses, that block my vision, that harden my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment